With the end of 2012 approaching, now is a good time to assess your injury data. Unfortunately for businesses, trends are showing a slow incline in claim frequencies since 2008. Are you taking prevention measures to avoid the most common non-fatal work comp injuries? Pay attention to cost drivers such as severity of injuries, lost time and medical costs.
Examining the cause of the injury and injury rates by shift and position may help uncover possible risks and hazards when dealing with injury control information. Read our list below for the most common non-fatal work injuries and interesting facts from 2011.
MOST COMMON WORK INJURIES & INTERESTING FACTS
- Most common nature of injury – sprains and strains
- Most common injury by event or exposure – overexertion
- Most common injury by body part – back
- Second most common injury by body part – knee
- Number of work comp injury claims filed in 2011 – 96,480
FACTORS TO KEEP IN MIND FOR WORK COMP INJURY COSTS:
- Costs of medical services
- Utilization (number of treatments per claim)
- Aging workforce
- Diagnosis mix
- Rising prevalence of obesity