The Wise Healthcare Consumer
Below are 4 Tips to help patients be Wise Healthcare Consumers!
1. Wise Healthcare Consumers take time and effort when choosing a health plan
2. Choose your health care provider wisely, use care and talk to your family and friends about their experiences
3. Prepare and communicate with your healthcare provider when you make an office visit. Ask questions, share concerns and ask about cost negotiations
4. Analyze and evaluate all sources of health information Adapted from the American Institute for Preventative Medicine “Wise Health Care Consumer Toolkit”
The Affordable Care Act…What’s Coming?
Beginning October 2013, the Health Insurance Marketplace will begin open enrollment. Below are 4 ways to get ready now.
1. Make a list of questions you might have, such as “can I stay with my current doctor?” and “Will this plan cover my health costs when I’m traveling?”
2. Make sure you understand how insurance works, including deductibles, out-of-pocket maximums, copayments, etc. You’ll want to consider these details while you’re shopping around.
3. Start gathering basic information about your household income. Most people will qualify to get a break on costs, and you’ll need income information to find out how much you’re eligible for.
4. Set your budget. There will be different types of health plans to meet a variety of needs and budgets, and breaking them down by cost can help narrow your choices.