The summer temperatures are starting to really heat things up. Is this effecting your workout routine? There are many ways to keep your fitness consistent despite the rising thermometer with tips for working out in the heat.
Staying healthy all year round is important to maintain a consistent lifestyle for your overall health. Avoiding any “yoyo-ing” effects in your weight and health is often advised. Many people say: summer bodies are made in the winter, but what about when the heat gets cranked up and the thought of your outdoor run becomes exhausting to even think about? Follow these tips when working out in the summer to keep you healthy all year long.
- Stay Hydrated: It is important to not only drink water while working out, but downing the H2O before and all day after. With the rising temps, there is a greater risk for dehydration.
- Stay cool while you sweat: If your plan on working out outside, in the sun, invest in a cooling towel. Before you start your workout, get it wet, ring it out and put it behind your neck to keep you cool. This will help keep your blood at a lower temperature, in turn keep you cooler for longer.
- Think about your clothing: Wear clothing that is moister wicking, loose or less than what you would wear in cooler temps. Summer is not the time to run in a sweatshirt with hopes of extra detoxing and weight loss.
- Know when it’s too hot: Keep an eye on upcoming temperatures when you plan on taking your workout outside. If there are any heat warnings, switch up your workout to stay indoors. Also avoid working out in the hottest part of the day which may mean getting up earlier or working out later. Now is not the time to push yourself. You know your body best and when it is simply too hot, change your plan.
- Embrace your vacation workouts: Heading north or to the beach? Take advantage of getting out of the desert and take your workout outside then. Find a path lined with pines or run near the water for cooler temps. Make sure you have a plan and know where you’re going when you’re in an unfamiliar place.
- Brush up on your in-home workouts: On the days where the temperatures are just too brutal, open up your internet and find a workout you can do in your living room. Many blogs have full workouts that require little to no equipment and can be done in small places.
Don’t let the summer heat ruin your workout plans. You can stay healthy in the heat with few tips or small changes that will keep you happy and healthy. Remember to drink water and allow time to cool off after your workouts!