Do you have good or poor posture? Check yourself right now as you are reading this- are you sitting upright or have totally sunk into your chair?
Without the daily reminders from parents or teachers of “sit up straight!” and “don’t slouch!”, it is harder to remember to do just that.
In order to prevent neck and back injuries, strong flexible muscles are a must to support the spine’s natural curves. In order for your back to be healthy, the spine’s curves must be in balanced or neutral alignment at all times in both stationary activities, and with movement. A lot of conditions such as sciatica disc trouble, low back pain, whiplash, neck pain, pinched nerves and arthritis have one thing in common: each condition can feel better or worse by the way you align and balance your head, neck and back as you go about your daily activities.
Proper Posture Checklist
- Are you holding your head straight?
- Are your shoulders in line with your ears?
- Are your shoulders level?
- Are your hips level?
- Is your chin parallel to the floor?
Tips for Improving Posture
• Keep your shoulders level and support your arms while sitting
• Change your position when performing an activity for a long period of time
• Pull your stomach muscles in
• Think “tall” while you are standing
• Sit in a chair with a straight back with your back supported and feet flat on the floor
• Keep your weight down and exercise regularly
• Sleep with a pillow that supports your neck comfortably
• Do Planks, Wall Squats and crunches to help you stand and sit with correct spinal alignment.
There are key benefits to improving your posture that will make a world of a difference. Proper posture allows you to breathe properly, increasing your concentration and thinking ability. Most importantly, it will help with avoiding health complications. Over time, bad posture habits can result in structural changes to the body that can affect physical appearance and reduce functioning of joints and muscles. The sooner you begin practicing good posture, the better.
At Contact Physical Therapy, we provide one on one contact and a direct treatment approach with each patient. It is our goal to return every patient to their active lifestyle.