Valentine’s Day is a day where you can celebrate the loved ones in your life. Often times though we forget to celebrate someone special each year. This year don’t forget to practice self-love. Not sure where to begin when practicing self-love? Well, we have gathered up eight ways that you can celebrate yourself this Valentine’s Day and hopefully continue it throughout the rest of the year.
- Love your body. Treating your body with the kind of love and respect it deserves. This will help boost your self-love as well as your confidence, and energy. Feed it the proper nutrition, stay active and take care of the areas that are hurt or need extra attention. You shouldn’t ever be punishing yourself or your body. Loving your body will better help you stay on track and get you closer to your fitness and health goals.
- Create a ritual. Use this as sort of a meditation while recognizing all the greatness you have accomplished. Don’t forget about the little things. Be grateful for your feet for getting you places, and your hands for creating. Thank your mind for being focused and your heart for keeping you passionate, in all areas of live. This is a great way to unwind from your day and help clear your head.
- Stop comparing yourself. In today’s world of constant social media bosting, it’s easy to get lost in someone else’s life and compare it to the accomplishments of your own life. Be appreciative for what you have and where you are at in life. Comparing yourself is usually never beneficial and most likely destructive to your confidence.
- Do something you’re good at. Boosting your self-esteem usually goes hand in hand with boosting your self-love. Are you a good artisit? Find somewhere inspiring to draw. Is yoga your thing? Roll out your mat and practice your strongest poses. Reminding yourself of all your strengths will lift your mood and help in your quest for self-love.
- Go unplugged. Turn off your cell phone and email for at least an hour. The need to constantly check social media or your inbox for work can often bring you down. Try to unwind the old fashion way with no phone. Turn on some music, light a candle and just relax for a bit. Try doing this a couple times a week to bring you back to the things that are most important to you.
- Clean and organize. Cleaning out your closet or organizing your desk is very therapeutic. Clutter can often lead to stress. So, taking the time to decide what is truly valuable to you will help simplify your life, leaving you feeling much happier.
- Start a journal of things you are grateful for or quotes that inspire you. Take a few minutes each day to write down things you love about yourself rather than focusing on things you wish to change. You can refer back to these writings when you are having a particularly hard or rough day.
- Pamper yourself. Take some time with a self indulging activity. Does that mean taking a nap without feeling guilty? Is that a massage or a nail appointment? Whatever pampering means to you, take some time for it. Your future relaxed and happy selt will thank you.
So, this year while planning out your gift for the special loved ones in your life, don’t forget about yourself. Loving your self will help you love others.