Have you told yourself you are going to work out more in 2017?
Whether you’re considering it a new year’s resolution or you just want to make a change this year, getting in shape and working out more is a great goal! But before you get started, let’s make sure you’re on the path to success.
Selecting a fitness routine requires a lot more thought than one might think. Some people tell themselves they’re going to start running every morning despite knowing that they hate running. Why? Because they equate being a runner with being fit. But there’s lots of fitness activities out there, and the important thing is choosing the right one for you.
Here are just a few quick tips for picking a fitness routine that you’ll love:
- Choose an activity that you enjoy. It will turn into something you look forward to instead of something you try to find excuses to avoid.
- Set reasonable expectations. If you have a hectic work schedule and a family to take care of, don’t put too much on your plate. Start out with trying to fit your fitness in just two times a week. Once you know that works for you, amp it up! When you set out to work out every day and you start missing days, it is possible that one day turns into one month very quickly.
- Pick a friend or colleague to join you in your workouts. Having a “cheerleader” who motivates you, and vice versa, can mean the difference between working out once a week and working out once a day. Plus, it’s fun to have someone to complain about how sore you are with.
- Find multiple fitness activities that you enjoy. If you know you’re going to get tired of going to yoga, try to switch it up. Maybe do kickboxing too so your schedule varies. Bonus: you’ll be working out different parts of the body in different ways.
- Reward yourself when you hit milestones. Whether you’ve lost X pounds, or you’ve committed to your fitness routine for an entire month, treat yourself! This will incentivize you to keep going.
Working out and staying in shape does not have to be miserable. It is a couple days of being soreness for a lifetime of good health. You just have to cater your fitness routine to you. Don’t worry about what your friends are doing, do what you want to do.
Think running is going to be your fitness activity of choice? Discover how physical therapy can help runners!